Sydney Boys High School has enjoyed a longstanding culture of philanthropy and support from its community, old boys, current and past families alike.
Sydney Boys High School and the Sydney High School Foundation maintain an ambitious vision to provide the most outstanding educational opportunities supported by state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. That can only be achieved with the support of you, our community.
Following Sir Henry Parkes' Education Act of 1880, the Government of the Colony of New South Wales decided to establish, under the control and administration of the Department of Public Instruction, a system of Public High Schools.
The first of these were the two Sydney High Schools. On October 1, 1883, The Boys School enrolled 46 students at the Francis Greenway designed building constructed by convicts in Castlereagh Street, Sydney. This site was that of the present Elizabeth Street Store of David Jones Ltd. More>
The concept of the Foundation was driven by Robert Outterside, Headmaster 1977-2001, who had taught in the Mathematics Department of the School 1958-1960 and was well aware of the ethos of the School. After three years as Headmaster of Manly High School 1974-1976 he also understood the relationships between the Department of Education and its schools. Fundamental to the formation of the Foundation was the desire for the separation of decision-making powers untrammelled by Departmental imperatives.
The Sydney High School Foundation Inc was established on 23 January 1986 and held its inaugural meeting 9 April 1987. More>